Diagnostics & Testing
Healing Hands Guided by Technology
Lafayette Physical Therapy and Diagnostics, is a proud member of HODS Advanced Physical Therapy Diagnostic Network. All HODS Approved Diagnostic Centers implement Advanced Diagnostic Technologies to identify the real cause of your pain conditions and find the best possible solution!
The Lafayette Physical Therapy Diagnostic Centers offer Advanced EMG and Nerve Conduction Testing, Joint and Nerve Musculoskeletal Ultrasound Testing and other tests to help identify the source of your problem.
Most physical therapists use the traditional model of physical therapy that includes an initial evaluation and treatments based on the initial evaluation findings. The Lafayette Physical Therapy Diagnostic Centers use a New Advanced Model of physical therapy, developed by HODS, that offers 62% better patient management! This new model incorporates appropriate muscle, joint and nerve testing that provide information about the true cause of your problem. As HODS Approved Diagnostic Physical Therapists they utilize not only a physical examination but also Advanced Diagnostic Testing Technologies to identify the root of your problem and treat you in the most efficient way.
Nerve Testing (NCS/EMG)
NCS STANDS FOR NERVE CONDUCTION STUDIES AND EMG STANDS FOR ELECTROMYOGRAPHY. THE NCS/EMG TEST HAS TWO PARTS:
- Nerve Conduction Studies (NCS) are used to measure the health of your nerves. Mild electrical stimulation is administered to the skin directly overlaying the nerve. The response is measured by a second set of electrodes applied to the surface of the skin. This impulse produces a visual signal on a computer monitor and when analyzed it can provide information about the condition of the nerve.
- An Electromyogram (EMG) measures the electrical activity of muscles at rest and during contraction. Nerves control the muscles in the body by electrical signals (impulses), and these impulses cause the muscles to react in specific ways. Nerve and muscle disorders cause the muscles to react in abnormal ways. During an Electromyography study, a very small pin is inserted in the muscle that helps us evaluate the condition of your muscles.
Measuring the electrical activity in muscles and nerves can help find diseases that damage muscle tissue (such as myopathy and muscular dystrophy) or nerves (such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis or peripheral neuropathies). EMG test and Nerve Conduction Studies are often done together to provide us with more complete data.
The results of NCS/EMG testing can be an invaluable tool for your doctor to determine various conditions that can affect your nerves and muscles, which will help them manage your care more effectively.
NCS/EMG test is easy, reliable and safe!
HOW TO PREPARE FOR YOUR NCS/EMG TEST?
- Do not use any body or hand lotion the day of the test.
- Let us know if you have a pacemaker or a defibrillator.
- Make sure that you know the kinds of medications you are taking.
- Let us know if you are taking aspirin.
Musculoskeletal Ultrasound (MSKUS)
THE ADVANTAGES OF USING ULTRASOUND
X-Rays, CT Scans and MRI’s have been used for a long time to identify problems of the musculoskeletal system. Recent advances in sonar and ultrasound technologies have created a more functional and practical approach to evaluate joints, muscles, ligaments, and even nerves. This technology is called musculoskeletal ultrasound.
Clinical evidence and research support using ultrasound as the first diagnostic test for numerous musculoskeletal conditions. Diagnostic ultrasound offers a number of important advantages compared to X-Ray, CT, and MRI, in terms of safety and effectiveness. Musculoskeletal ultrasound simply uses sonic waves, and there is no exposure to radiation.
Musculoskeletal ultrasound (MSKUS) is noninvasive and offers real-time imaging, allowing for examinations of structures at rest and in motion.
This ability to capture the movement of musculoskeletal components differentiates it from other imaging modalities and can permit more accurate diagnoses!
Musculoskeletal Ultrasound is an easy, reliable and safe test!
The HODS Approved Physical Therapist works with the patient and referring physician to obtain the results needed to obtain a proper diagnose, while also providing a pleasant and comfortable experience for the patient.
Proper testing assists in correct diagnosis that leads to appropriate treatment.
Musculoskeletal Diagnostic Ultrasound testing can be part of your health solution!